Staff should return their face shields to Hospital Processed Stores located at 2050 Shipping and Receiving Facility between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily. Outside those hours, staff should call 319-356-7184 in order to access Hospital Processed Stores.
If you plan on returning 10 or more shields, please call 319-356-1784, as—depending on available space—the return may need to be scheduled.
Questions? Contact Don Jaggers at 319-384-7026.
NOTE: Personal protective equipment (PPE) guidance for the care of COVID-19 patients and persons under investigation (PUIs) can be found here.
Effective Thursday, May 20, Eye protection is no longer required during patient care (for both vaccinated and unvaccinated employees), unless required by isolation or splash precautions.
On May 13, 2021, the CDC updated its public health recommendations:
- Currently authorized vaccines in the United States are highly effective at protecting vaccinated people against symptomatic and severe COVID-19.
- A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection or transmit COVID-19 to unvaccinated people.
- Indoor and outdoor activities pose minimal risk to fully vaccinated people.
- Fully vaccinated people should still get tested if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Fully vaccinated people should not visit private or public settings if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the prior 10 days or are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms.
- Fully vaccinated people should continue to follow any applicable federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including at workplaces, businesses, and transportation.
The forehead band should sit approximately 1/2 – 1 inch above the eyebrows, with the bottom of the shield sitting below chin level.
If your unit, or department, has a dedicated space to store your face shield you are welcome to leave it at work. If there is not a space to store your shield onsite, we recommend leaving it in a plastic bag in your car or at home.
If you would like to utilize your shield at home you are welcome to do so, but remember this shield was meant for completing your work duties and must last throughout the entire COVID-19 pandemic.
If your shield is lost or left at home, you will be provided a disposable face shield to use at work. Contact Processed Stores at 319-356-1784 to order a new face shield if your department or work area does not have back up shields available.
To clean your shield, we recommend utilizing the following types of disinfection products:
- Sani-Cloth AF3 Wipes (grey top)
- Sani-Cloth Bleach Wipes (orange top)
- Virex 265 Spray
- Commercially available disinfection wipes from your grocery store, such as Clorox wipes
- Other germicidal wipes will be shared as they come available
Your shield should be cleaned after the shield is removed when in direct patient care and on a regular basis when working in a non-patient care area (i.e. office). If your shield is soiled, clean with soap and water then disinfect.
Your face shield can build up a ‘film’ over time. After you disinfect your shield you may wash it with hot water and soap. This may help prevent build up from the disinfectant.
Disposable shields may be used as long as they keep their shape and remain intact. Clean this shield with the same disinfectants as outlined in the questions above. View full cleaning instructions here.
If your shield breaks:
All broken face shields should be returned to your designated contact as listed in the chart below. These shields should then be returned to Processed Stores. Repaired shields will be redistributed to areas as appropriate.
Yes, both types of shields provide the same protection if worn properly.
If your visor does not stay in position, the bolts holding the hinges on the side of the face shield need to be tightened. Each type of shield is slightly different.
Yes, you can add your name to your shield (and we encourage you to do so!). Your name can be an additional identifier, in addition to the specific face shield number you were assigned. We recommend either using a label maker and placing your name in a similar spot as your shield number or using a permanent marker in a location that will not impede your vision or be wiped off when disinfecting your shield.
We do not recommend adding any decals or additional decoration to the shield, as you must be able to clean all surfaces to prevent the spread of infection.
Unfortunately, we are only able to assign one face shield to each individual. If you find your shield does not fit properly after adjustments, you can contact Processed Stores at 319-356-1784 to discuss additional options or obtain a disposable face shield.
This face shield is yours to keep secure during the COVID-19 pandemic. As hospital property, we are working on a future plan regarding what to do with the shields at the end of the pandemic. Additional information will be provided in the upcoming weeks.
Face shield distribution process
If new face shields are needed, supervisors can help faculty and staff obtain new face shields from Material Services Processed Stores. The table below outlines the face shield options and associated PeopleSoft numbers. Face shields will either be delivered, or you will be instructed to pick them up in 2050 Shipping and Receiving Facility (SRF).
To get to 2050 SRF:
- During the Fountain Lobby construction project: Take Elevator C to LL, proceed down the hall and take the elevator to 2050 SRF.
- After the Fountain Lobby construction project: Take the long hallway on first floor of GH near Elevator C and next to the Bread Garden kiosk and mailboxes toward the mail room. At end of hall, take the elevator to second floor where Processed Stores is located, 2050 SRF.
Please work with your supervisor or call Processed Stores at 319-356-1784 to order a new face shield. You should have a new shield within two to three hours. You can get a shield more quickly if you pick it up at Processed Stores located at 2050 SRF.
The face shield should be returned to the employee’s supervisor. This shield should be cleaned and stored for future use.
Yes, as a supervisor you may have extra shields in your area to be utilized when face shields break, when you hire a new employee, or for use if a current employee leaves their face shield at home. Please do not order in bulk from Processed Stores.
No, as an employee you cannot create your own supply of face shields. Each employee is provided one face shield to use during the entirety of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As a supervisor, plan to provide your employees returning to work on site with a face shield from the extras available in your area, or, submit a request through Processed Stores. Please make sure to submit this information a few days before your employee is set to return onsite to ensure the face shield is available and ready when they arrive.