There is a nationwide blood shortage that has reached critical levels here at DeGowin! Type A Positive and O Positive whole blood donors are needed but all types are welcomed. If you can help, please give us a call at 319-356-2058 or visit uidegowinbloodcenter.org. There are opportunities to donate at the University of Iowa DeGowin Donor Center (Elevator B, Level 2) or at one of the blood drives listed here:
- City of North Liberty – Lower Level of the North Liberty Community Center
- Wednesday, June 9, 1 to 6 p.m.
- Thursday, June 10, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Our Redeemer Church – Iowa City
- Monday, June 14, 1 to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 15, 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Corridor Corporate Games – Old Capitol Mall 2nd Floor UCC Room 2520
- Wednesday, June 30, noon to 5 p.m.
- Thursday, July 1, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Science Thursday – Medical Education Research Facility (MERF Atrium)
- Thursday, July 8, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Corridor Corporate Games – Melrose Conference Rooms (Elevator L, Level 5)
- Friday, July 9, 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Corridor Corporate Games – IMU 3rd Floor Lobby
- Tuesday, July 13, noon to 4 p.m.
DeGowin is instructing donors to schedule an appointment before coming to donate. To sign up for an appointment that works for you, visit our website at uihc.org/degowin and click “Start Your Donation Today” or call 319-356-2058. Please note, donors and staff are required to wear a face mask when they come to donate. Per guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, masks are still required in high-risk areas, including hospitals and blood donation areas. If donors do not have a face mask, they will be provided with one when they arrive.
Thank you for your support of the UI DeGowin Blood Center.
- Have a photo ID (student/work ID or Driver’s License)
- If you have received a COVID-19 vaccine, it is important to provide the manufacturer when you come to donate. We encourage you to bring your vaccination card to your donation appointment. In most cases, there is no deferral time for individuals who have received a COVID-19 vaccine. For more information, please contact the DeGowin Blood Center at 319-356-2058.
- Be at least 17 years old (or 16 years old with signed parent/guardian consent).
- 16 year old donors need a DeGowin Consent Form filled out by a parent or legal guardian. You will hand this form to registration when you come to donate.
- Eat a full meal four hours before donating.
- Drink plenty of fluids before donating. Gatorade and water are your best options.
- Be in general good health.
- Bring a list of current medications.
- Bring a list of places visited outside the United States, including dates traveled.
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Be cold- and flu-symptom free for five days.
- Please note the flu shot is not a deferral.
The DeGowin Blood Center has implemented a number of safety measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in order to keep both our donors and staff as safe as possible.
- Donors must schedule an appointment to maintain social distancing guidelines.
- Increased use of hand sanitizer.
- Donation chairs are spaced at least six feet apart.
- Extra cleaning of high touch areas before a drive and between each donor.
- Staff wear a face mask and are screened for a temperature and COVID-19 symptoms at the start of each shift.
- Donors are required to wear a face mask or shield. If donors do not have a face covering, they are provided with one when they arrive.
Be a Gallon Grad!
- The UI DeGowin Blood Center invites any high school student that is eligible to donate, to join our Gallon Grad Program. The program was created to honor high school students who go above and beyond, donating a gallon of whole blood and/or platelets prior to graduation. DeGowin recognizes any student after their eighth donation by presenting you a certificate of achievement and a red cord at your school’s senior-award night. Once received, you’ll be able to display your achievement by wearing your red cord at graduation. For more information, contact Jessie Cunningham at email@example.com.