We are caring for 705 inpatients and have 3,974 outpatient visits today.
High: 83 Low: 67 Storms
High: 77 Low: 62 Rain
Broadcasts: Need to know
From today through Friday, June 22, the playground at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital will be closed from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. every day to install new canopies. The south dining area will be open except when canopies are being installed in this space. Signs will be posted.
News: In The Loop
At age 96, Mae Schatteman of Iowa City has a youthful exuberance that inspires smiles wherever she goes. And as she cheerfully invites everyone she meets to her 100th birthday party, Mae shows no signs of slowing down. But she is careful to watch her step along the way.
Although guideline revisions based on new evidence have stopped or reversed trends toward increased use of injections for knee osteoarthritis, these treatments remain commonly used, according to new research by Nicholas A. Bedard, MD, and colleagues, Medicalnewser reports.
Events: Join us
- Living Peace Meditation: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. tomorrow, Meditation Room (Level 12), UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital
- Immunology Grand Rounds: 1 to 2 p.m. tomorrow, C423-1 (Elevator B, Level 1)
- Spanish on the Phone course: noon to 1 p.m. Thursdays, July 19 to Aug. 16, 160 MRF (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Frontiers in Obesity, Diabetes, and Metabolism, presented by Gary Pierce, PhD: 1 to 2 p.m. Monday, June 25, 1289 CBRB
- A Interpreting Services resource is available to Spanish- and French-speaking patients and families after 5 p.m. on weekdays and 24/7 on weekends. Call 844-703-6179 for Spanish and 844-201-9838 for French.
- Submissions for the fall 2018 issue of The Examined Life Journal are open through Saturday, June 30.
- Receive up to $45, access to health coaching, and the recreation services incentive by completing the Personal Health Assessment via Employee Self Service.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Subjects between ages 40 and 70 with type 2 diabetes are invited to participate in a research study where they undergo vascular function testing following eight weeks of dietary nitrate supplementation. Study requires seven separate visits on weekday mornings. Compensation. Contact 319-335-9808 or email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
The UI has been spearheading campaigns to empower girls to pursue professions in STEM, and this week is hosting a weeklong camp for more than a dozen 7th- to 9th-grade girls, CBS2 reports.
Coralville’s $190-million Iowa Arena project won’t have a dedicated parking lot or garage attached, but city leaders are confident in their plan for the new arena to share existing parking within a two-block area, KCRG reports.
Ten years after floodwaters devastated downtown Cedar Rapids, many businesses have returned or opened, IPR reports. For some, their return was tied to the city’s commitment to build a permanent flood control system. A decade later, they’re still waiting.
Calls are mounting on Capitol Hill to end the separation of families at the southern border ahead of a visit from President Donald Trump to discuss legislation, The Associated Press reports.
The Downtown Block Party will be back for a second year from 5 to 11 p.m. this Saturday, June 23, the Iowa City Downtown District reports.
A letter signed by 123 sexual abuse victims of former sports doctor Larry Nassar today urged Michigan State to oust interim president John Engler, saying he has reinforced a “culture of abuse,” ABC News reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.