How we learn from experiences is crucial to error prevention. But how does a former aerospace engineer see this applied to the health care industry?
We are caring for 742 inpatients and have 4,492 outpatient visits today.
High: 51 Low: 36 Breezy
High: 57 Low: 35 Mostly sunny
- Our off-site clinics have been extra busy with flu shots. They’ve already administered more flu vaccine this year than they did in the entire 2018–19 flu season. (Don’t worry, there’s plenty of supply left for the year.) The supply of flu vaccines for the public is separate from the supply of vaccines for our employees.
- The Carver College of Medicine is seeking nominations for the 2020 Distinguished Alumni Awards through Friday, Nov. 1.
- One lane of For The Kids Way will be closed beginning Friday, Oct. 25, until 6 a.m. Monday, Oct. 28, for general road improvements.
- The escalators in West Campus Transportation Center will be down for maintenance tomorrow morning through most of the day.
- The Point will undergo maintenance on Friday, Oct. 25, from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. for system updates. During the maintenance window, users can access a read-only copy of The Point documents, but will not be able to make changes.
News: In The Loop
Australia is wrapping up a severe flu season. Will the U.S. face the same fate?
UI reproductive endocrinologist and director of the Fertility Preservation Program, Rachel Mejia, DO, has been named by the journal Fertility and Sterility as the recipient of its 2019 Investigator Achievement Award.
Events: Join us
- Employee flu vaccination clinic: 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. tomorrow, Pappajohn Business Building
- Project Art presents: Piano recital with Hsin-Hui Liu: noon to 1 p.m. tomorrow, JCP Atrium (Elevator F, Level 1)
- Spiritual Services Mindfulness Meditation: 12:10 to 12:50 p.m. tomorrow, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Meditation Room (Level 12)
- Hills Bank financial wellness class for UI employees: noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 6, Melrose Conference Center, 51000 PFP (Elevator M, Level 5)
- Surgery Postgraduate Conference: What Every General Surgeon Needs to Know, Friday, Nov. 8, 2117 MERF
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Type One Nation Summit: 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, MERF
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Inpatient nurses in medical-surgical, children’s and women’s, intensive and specialty, and pyschiatric services are invited to participate in research about patient safety communication. Compensation. Contact Patricia Groves at email@example.com or 319-335-7117.
Outside UI Health Care
Fort Dodge native Robert Wolf recently donated the collection of fossils he’s accumulated over his lifetime, which includes pieces primarily from the Midwest, The Daily Iowan reports.
It’s that time of the year: The scariest of ghosts and goblins will take to the streets seeking out sweets and treats, KCRG reports.
The Chicago Teachers Union and city officials negotiated through the weekend but couldn’t reach a deal, CNN reports.
So far, 75 infants have received nutrient-rich breast milk from about 400 donors, Reuters reports.
The World Series will begin tonight, as the Houston Astros host the Washington Nationals, NPR reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.