We are caring for 739 inpatients and have 2,971 outpatient visits today.
High: 60 Low: 40 Sunny
High: 59 Low: 39 Mostly cloudy
Events: Join us
- Support group for depression or bipolar disorder: 4 to 5 p.m. Sundays, W246 (Elevator B, Level 2), free, confidential. Call 319-384-8470.
- Acceptance and Commitment Skills Therapy Group, a four-week class for people with depression or bipolar disorder, starts at 2:30 p.m. Thursday, April 26
- “Diabetes in Cystic Fibrosis: Collateral Damage and Other Culpable Parties,” noon to 1 p.m. Monday, April 23, East Room (Elevator D, Level 8)
- UI Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Cancer Program Onco-fertility Symposium: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 5, MERF
News: In The Loop
Harvard neuroscientist and MacArthur Fellow Beth Stevens, PhD, will present the inaugural Nancy C. Andreasen Lecture from 11 a.m. to noon Tuesday, April 24, Prem Sahai Auditorium (1110A MERF), and will participate in a panel discussion about the science and societal impact of autism.
The top hand hygiene performers for the month of March were:
- Best performing unit: 7JCP Dialysis (98 percent)
- Best performing job category: Child life (100 percent)
- Most improved unit: 3JPP (9 percent increase)
- Most improved job category: Social work (100 percent increase)
Anastasia Surguladze’s time as a volunteer helped her discover her passion for pediatric medicine and inspired her aspirations to become a pediatrician.
UI Hospitals and Clinics has received a Blue Distinction Center+ designation by Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield for bariatric surgery. Health care facilities receive the designation for delivering quality care resulting in better overall outcomes for bariatric patients.
- Complete your annual Disclosure of Outside Professional Activities and Interests in the eCOI system by Monday, April 30.
- The UI welcomes members of the military, veterans, and their families and thanks you for your service to our nation. Explore resources and benefits available at worklife.uiowa.edu.
- Call the Patient Access Center at 2-1095 to accelerate follow-up clinic appointments for patients who need them prior to discharge and within a tight time frame.
The NIH Physical Wellness Toolkit gives tips on physical health habits to decrease stress, lower disease risk, and increase energy.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Subjects ages 18 to 50 are invited to a study on microneedle skin repair in people of different races/ethnicity. There will be seven visits over one to two weeks. Compensation. Contact 319-678-8089 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Iowa-born astronaut Peggy Whitson and comedian Kumail Nanjiani, a Grinnell College graduate, were both named to Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people list, Time reports.
Linn-Mar High School students will participate in the National School Walkout today, a nationwide event being held on the anniversary of the 1999 mass shooting at Columbine High School in Colorado, Little Village Magazine reports.
Chopped romaine lettuce grown in Yuma, Arizona, is the source of an E.coli outbreak that has sickened at least 53 people in 16 states, NPR reports.
The volume of prescription opioids dispensed by U.S. doctors dropped 12 percent last year, marking the largest annual decline in 25 years, Forbes reports.
The Iowa football spring game will begin at 7 p.m. tonight at Kinnick Stadium, Landof10.com reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.