We are caring for 730 inpatients and have 3,699 outpatient visits today.
High: 81 Low: 65 Chance of storms
High: 85 Low: 63 Cloudy, rain
Events: Join us
- Hardin Open Workshop, Hardin 101, 11 a.m. to noon Thursday, Aug. 23, Hardin Library, East Commons
- Career Transitions, faculty workshop: 1 to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 12, 283 EMRB
- Mental Health Speed Networking: for researchers and clinicians interested in mental health, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 28, 1289 CBRB; register by Friday, Sept. 14
- Attachment, Neurodevelopment, and Psychopathology conference: Wednesday, Sept. 19, to Friday, Sept. 21, Rembolt Room, Center for Disabilities and Development
- Heart Failure in the Heartland: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 12, Graduate Hotel, Iowa City
News: In The Loop
In the latest column by Brooks Jackson, MD, MBA, UI vice president for medical affairs and dean of the Carver College of Medicine: There’s something about the dwindling days of summer that leads to reflection. In that spirit, let’s take a moment to look back—and also to look ahead.
Earlier this week, members of Internal Medicine’s newly formed Community and Engagement Services committee delivered nearly 850 school supplies to the Iowa City Community School District.
By setting some good habits now, you can ease your child into the school routine. Check out these basic tips from pediatrician Meredith Fishbane-Gordon, MD, for a healthy school year.
- Nite Ride is available from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. seven days a week and provides transportation to any location on the UI campus, including the Hawkeye, Finkbine, Myrtle Avenue, and Arena commuter lots.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults ages 18 to 59 with major depressive disorder, in full or partial remission, are invited to a research study comparing cognitive testing on iPads to tests administered by researchers. Compensation. Contact email@example.com or 319-353-3904
Outside UI Health Care
By writing and producing dramatic productions to perform for schoolchildren, UI playwriting graduate Anton Jones aims to make the world a better place one audience at a time, the UI reports.
The UI will hold two open forums seeking input from campus on the search for a new executive vice president and provost, Iowa Now reports.
The Iowa State Fair attracts more than a million people each year, and many of those fairgoers attend for the famous food, KWWL reports.
Marion’s former fire engine E-91 will be dedicated on Saturday as the first pink fire engine, to represent women and their families for the Iowa Chapter of the Pink Heals Organization, KCRG reports.
Iowan Rik Zortman has run paths spelling the names of several children battling cancer—many of them UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital patients—starting with his own son, ESPN reports.
A new report published today by Consumer Reports found “concerning levels” of heavy metals including arsenic, cadmium, and lead in some popular baby food, ABC News reports.
Week 1 of the NFL preseason has come and gone. Here’s a look at how Iowa’s rookies performed in their professional debuts, Hawk Central reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.