We are caring for 740 inpatients and have 2,957 outpatient visits today.
High: 22 Low: 12 Sunny
High: 38 Low: 20 Cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
Two sections of the Level 2 corridor will be closed at 6 p.m. today until 10 p.m. Sunday. The area just north of 2JCP/Elevator H and just south of Elevator H will be closed. Access 2JCP from Elevator H.
The sloped corridor on Level 3 between Carver Pavilion (Elevator D) and South Wing of General Hospital (Elevator C) will be closed at 7 a.m. tomorrow until likely Sunday afternoon to repair a ceiling leak.
News: In The Loop
Dale Abel, MD, PhD, will deliver the 35th Annual UI Presidential Lecture at 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18, at the Levitt Center for University Advancement (Level 4): “Overfeeding the Heart: Diabetes and Cardiovascular Complications.”
Jennifer G. Robinson, MD, coauthored a new study analyzing the benefit of β-blockers in combination with other standard post–myocardial infarction therapies, The JAMA Network reports.
After getting a dad’s perspective last week on attending medical school as a parent of young children, this week we hear from a mom.
Pediatric nurse Marcia Knepp, RN, had a great idea to help our patients and families enjoy the snow, even though they may not be able to go outside.
Events: Join us
- Regina Jazz Ensemble, noon today, Nick’s Theater (Level 1), UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
- Get your 2018 benefits questions answered by UI Benefits staff 6 to 9 a.m. tomorrow, E178 GH (Elevator AA, Level 1).
- Support group for people with depression or bipolar disorder: 4 to 5 p.m. Sundays, W246 (Elevator B, Level 2). Free and confidential. Questions? Call 319-384-8470.
- Anesthesia Grand Rounds: 7 to 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, East Room (Elevator D, Level 8). Cyrus D Mintz, MD, of Johns Hopkins, will present “Anesthesia Toxicity and the mTOR Pathway.”
- Last chance to attend Performance Review Tool training: 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1); Skype available.
- Pediatric Pain and Palliative Care Noon Education session: noon to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 20, East Room (Elevator D, Level 8). Topic: “Helping Children When They Grieve.” Questions? Call 319-356-4107.
- Sarcoma Symposium 2018: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 24, 2117 MERF.
Need to clear off your calendar? Learn how to quickly remove a large number of Outlook calendar items using list view.
- The critical red outlets will not have power in Colloton Pavilion Levels 4, 6, 7, and 8 next week for 20 minutes at a time.
- Nominate a Merif staff member for a Hancher-Finkbine Medallion. Deadline is 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 19.
- Remind patients and visitors about our Lost and Found at the Main Entrance Information Desk (Elevator E, Level 1), and remember to check for dentures, hearing aids, phone chargers, etc., as they leave.
- Performance reviews for all UI Health Care staff (regular appointments 50 percent or more) must be done by Saturday, March 31.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Individuals 18 and older are invited to a research study using standard vision tests and a new visual function test. Participation includes a three-hour visit. Compensation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-356-8299.
Outside UI Health Care
UI researches are investigating how freshwater mussels could help filter out bacteria and nitrogen in surrounding waterways, The Daily Iowan reports.
An East Moline, Illinois, police officer is credited with saving an injured American bald eagle after it was struck in traffic on Interstate 88, KWQC reports.
The U.S. Geological Survey reports four small earthquakes in northwestern Oklahoma this morning, the strongest with a preliminary magnitude of 3.8, The Associated Press reports.
Across the U.S., medical schools and teaching hospitals are taking a variety of measures to address the shortage of psychiatrists and other mental health providers, AAMCNews reports.
The Iowa high school state wrestling tournament got started yesterday in Des Moines, with Iowa City West’s Francis Duggan and two-time state champ Nelson Brands both off to a dominant start, The Gazette reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.