We are caring for 764 inpatients and have 3,501 outpatient visits today.
High: 61 Low: 35 Sunny
High: 68 Low: 47 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
There have been reports of scammers creating email addresses to impersonate department heads, then emailing staff within that department asking them to purchase gift cards. Please be aware this is a scam. Contact the UI Department of Public Safety at 319-335-5022 if this happens to you.
News: In The Loop
Get ready for Health Sciences Research Day, to be held from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. next Saturday, April 27, at the Iowa Memorial Union, with a keynote lecture, poster session, mini-symposia, and vendor/research services fair. No registration is required to attend and is open to the public.
Bridget Toomey, CPC, CPB, of Patient Financial Services, wrote a blog post on ovarian cancer advocacy and her time in Washington, DC, while Richard Hoffman, MD, MPH, discusses barriers to lung cancer screening and proposes a solution to this in Iowa.
When the UI introduced its HIV/AIDS Clinic in 1988, it saw hundreds of patients within its first two years, Little Village Magazine reports. The Bijou Film Forum, FilmScene, and Iowa City Pride is helping celebrate the clinic’s 30th anniversary with a mini film series next week.
Raphael Hirsch, MD, chair and departmental executive officer of the Stead Family Department of Pediatrics, has accepted the position of chair of the University of California–San Francisco Department of Pediatrics and physician-in-chief at Benioff Children’s Hospital.
Events: Join us
- Donate Life Ceremony to honor tissue, eye, and organ donor families and recipients: 1 p.m. Monday, April 22, Clasen Board Room (Elevator H, Level 1)
- Frontiers in Pediatrics Research Seminar: Howard Goodkin, MD, PhD, noon to 1 p.m. Monday, April 22, Conference Center, 2415 JCP
- Project Art presents musicians from New York City: noon Monday, April 29, Colloton Pavilion Lobby (Elevator F, Level 1)
- Precision Genomic Medicine Conference: Thursday, May 2, Pediatrics Conference Center, 2415 Colloton Pavilion (Elevator E, Level 2)
- 35th annual Red Shoe Run/Walk: 8:30 a.m. Sunday, May 5, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois. Questions? Contact Ryne George at firstname.lastname@example.org or 356-8302.
- Joint Office for Compliance reminds employees to only access patient records if you have a legitimate business or care-related reason to do so, or if you have prior documented patient consent. Inappropriate access to a patient’s medical record may result in termination. Questions? Call 319-384-8282.
- Every patient’s story is personal and can inspire others. Patients and families can share their meaningful or positive experiences with UI Health Care through the “Share Your Story” links on uihc.org or uichildrens.org.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies. Participation is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Questions? Call 335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit icts.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
Outstanding faculty, staff, and students recognized during Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women
The Susan C. Buckley Distinguished Achievement Award for Staff and May Brodbeck Distinguished Achievement Award for Faculty were awarded to two exceptional women at the UI’s annual Celebration of Excellence and Achievement Among Women, Iowa Now reports.
Census estimates show strong growth in the Des Moines metro area as well as the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City areas, but more than two-thirds of Iowa’s counties have lost population since 2010, KCRG reports.
As architects and construction workers tried to figure out how to stabilize the damaged Notre Dame Cathedral and protect it from the elements, the cathedral’s rector said an unspecified computer problem may have been behind the fast-spreading fire that ravaged it, KCRG reports.
In a first, heart surgeons in Poland used 3D goggles to help them see inside a patient’s chest as they opened up a narrowed heart valve, Reuters reports.
Tria Simmons and Jenny Kimbro competed in the heptathlon for the Iowa women, and Peyton Haack is displaying his all-around talents in the men’s decathlon, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.