Use the Blind Spots reporting system to share ideas or concerns about COVID-19. This system collects and aggregates similar suggestions, allowing us to harness your ingenuity, get your ideas to the right people to investigate, and put them into action.
Today's COVID-19 Updates
C-19 adult inpatients: 9 yesterday, 270 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 12 to date
% positive C-19 tests: 9% yesterday, 13% to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported): 6 yesterday, 213 to date
Telehealth screenings: 321 yesterday, 22,432 to date
Keeping you in The Loop
Epi Explains is a new video series featuring experts in our Program of Hospital Epidemiology that will help you stay informed with accurate information about COVID-19. The first in the series features Mary Beth Kukla, BSN, RN, who provides tips on staying safe outdoors during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Alongside fellow musicians Nina Bernat, David Bernat, and Jiarong Li, Mark Bernat shares another at-home music program. Bernat serves as manager of performing arts within Project Art at UI Hospitals & Clinics and is also an internationally renowned double bassist.
Daniel Diekema, MD, MS, director of the UI Hospitals & Clinics Division of Infectious Diseases, says that even if there is some airborne transmission of COVID-19, the preventative measures that everyone should be taking are mostly the same, KCRG reports.
Members of our leadership team gave a situation update on COVID-19 and took questions from employees during a forum yesterday.
COVID-19 announcements and reminders
- UI Health Care employees and students are invited to participate in a research study on wearing face masks and face shields in the workplace during the COVID-19 outbreak. All responses are anonymous. For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MyChart rack cards have been updated to include telehealth information. Departments and clinics can purchase the new version through the UI Printing storefront.
- Social distancing is more than a nice idea: It’s an absolutely critical aspect of preventing the spread of COVID-19. That means staying six feet apart, not walking in pairs (even if you’re wearing face shields), and asynchronous rounding.
Social shout out
“I started working for the UIHC in 1982 and I’ve never seen an administration as responsive and effective as this one. THANKS!”
–@uihealthcare Facebook comment #UIHCStrong
We Stand Together
Why does Adrian Silva, interpreter and translator, mask up? “I wear my mask to protect my community and my loved ones. COVID-19 has directly impacted the lives of some people close to me, and I want to prevent that for anyone if I can.”
Post a picture of yourself wearing a mask (or shield) on social media and use the hashtag #MaskUpIA to show how you keep yourself and others safe. Or, email your photo to email@example.com and share why you #MaskUpIA.
Other news and updates
- DeGowin Blood Center summer blood drive: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, UI Old Museum of Art
- Virtual Science Thursday: musical performance from Peter Stoltz and Levi Pugh, a jazz duo, noon to 1 p.m. today, via Facebook
- Beginning July 11, Wild Rose Gift Shop (Elevator E, Level 1) will be open on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Their weekday hours remain 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- If you find an error or out-of-date information on uihc.org, uichildrens.org, medicine.uiowa.edu, or uihealthcare.org, let us know. Click the “Report an issue with this page” link at the bottom of every webpage.
Outside UI Health Care
UI recently announced the recipients of its first-ever Iowa Innovation and Entrepreneurship Honors, Iowa Newsletter reports.
Iowa City parking permit holders and those with parking agreements will receive a refund credit from a total of over $250,000, The Daily Iowan reports.
Iowa City launches website to let public track progress on police reform, racial equity, and social justice goals
Iowa City has added a section to the city’s website, allowing the public to see how much progress is being made on the council’s 17-point resolution, Little Village Magazine reports.
Rain is much needed in spots where it’s been dry recently and will help provide some relief from the heat, CBS2 reports.
Paleontologists may have identified a new species of dinosaur that lived, mated, and nested in the Arctic 70 million years ago, CNN reports.
US electric vehicle maker Tesla is “very close” to achieving level 5 autonomous driving technology, referring to the capability to navigate roads without any driver input, Reuters reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.