We are caring for 774 inpatients and have 3,108 outpatient visits today.
High: 81 Low: 63 Partly sunny
High: 83 Low: 69 Chance T-storms
Broadcasts: Need to know
Parking Ramp 2 will be closed for maintenance from 6 p.m. today until 3 a.m. Monday, Aug. 19. Vehicles will not be able to enter the ramp after 4 p.m. today, and those not removed by 6 p.m. will be relocated. Questions? Email email@example.com or call 319-335-1475.
News: In The Loop
Christopher came to see us for a hip issue. When the doctor noticed Christopher’s hand shaking, he got in right away to see our hand and wrist experts. It was carpal tunnel syndrome. Now, with his hip and hand issues resolved, Christopher is back on his bike.
Lisa Hughes, RN-BC, staff nurse, was nominated for a DAISY Award by a grateful patient: “Lisa was so funny. … Her compassion and kindness she showed my husband was so genuine. … When I read this story to my husband, I looked to see he was crying, and he said, ‘She was pretty special.’”
Events: Join us
- Free skin cancer screenings at 2019’s Courage Ride: 8 to 11 a.m., tomorrow, Big Grove Brewery, Iowa City, no appointments needed
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light The Night Walk: 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, GreenState Credit Union, 2355 Landon Road, North Liberty
- Lean Improvement Model for Health Care Training: two-day sessions in October and November. This highly interactive course teaches and simulates Lean concepts for problem-solving and initiating improvements.
- The main corridor on Level 2 of John Pappajohn Pavilion will be closed from just south of Elevator I to the beginning of the skyway from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. tomorrow. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 319-353-7703.
- Dialysis parking and the service drive between Parking Ramp 1 and General Hospital will be closed tomorrow from 6 a.m. until approximately 2 p.m. Saturday dialysis patients may park in the valet surface lot next to Parking Ramp 1 tomorrow.
- Are you ready for The Joint Commission? Keep areas free of clutter and dust. Don’t store items on the floor. Rusted equipment and torn or wooden furniture are not cleanable and should be repaired or replaced. Do not prop fire doors open with wedges. Know how to locate SDS for hazardous chemicals. Learn more on the Environment of Care page on The Point.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
The Departments of Orthopedics and Urology invite adult males who have been experiencing testicular/epididymal/scrotal content pain for longer than 3 months to participate in a research study. Study requires an office visit with urology, four surveys, a physical exam, and X-rays. If interested, call 319-356-2421 to schedule an appointment.
Outside UI Health Care
Mormon Trek Boulevard, one of Iowa City’s most traveled streets, is being converted from four traffic lanes to three, Little Village Magazine reports.
The celebration of the summer is here and hundreds of thousands of people are visiting the Iowa State Fair, KWWL reports.
High water this summer stranded barges for nearly three months on the upper Mississippi River—the longest time in recorded history, NPR reports.
Based on a survey of U.S. residents, researchers conclude in JAMA Surgery that national and institutional changes in parental leave policies could help trainees start families sooner, Reuters reports.
After going undrafted in the 2019 NBA Draft, Tyler Cook has signed a two-way contract with the Denver Nuggets, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.