Planning to be outside this weekend? Remember to protect your skin, and make sure to wear a face covering when around others.
Today's COVID-19 Updates
C-19 adult inpatients: 22 yesterday, 358 to date
C-19 pediatric inpatients: 0 yesterday, 18 to date
% positive C-19 tests: 13% yesterday, 13% to date
Employees tested positive (self-reported): 8 yesterday, 297 to date
Telehealth screenings: 332 yesterday, 31,018 to date
Keeping you in The Loop
Nicholas Klein, RN, was honored with the DAISY Award for his extraordinary care. His story shows how nursing touches lives and how lives touch nurses. Klein reminds us all that compassionate care is oftentimes not just what one is obligated to do under licensure, but what one is compelled to do as a human being.
In part two of the latest Epi Explains video, Hospital Epidemiologist Jorge Salinas, MD, discusses his motivation for wearing a face mask and why ending the COVID-19 pandemic will require a collective effort.
COVID-19 announcements and reminders
- The UI Health Care COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Therapy study is recruiting additional donors who have recovered from confirmed COVID-19 infection. Contact PathologyCP@healthcare.uiowa.edu or 1-319-678-7922.
- Do you know a colleague who leads the way with safety? Someone who always wears their face covering, who helps others follow our safety guidelines? Someone who goes the (social) distance? Send them a safety shout-out to recognize them for their commitment to safety.
Social shout out
“Thank you! You all do such an important job. You are so appreciated!”
–@uihealthcare Facebook comment #UIHCStrong
We Stand Together
As part of our new ‘Change Maker’ ads, listen as James Howe, MD, stresses the importance of understanding that there is no common cancer and the benefit of getting the right treatment plan from the start.
Other news and updates
- Emails coming from the ESC Self-Service System will change from Help Desk-HCIS to UI Service. These emails are sent automatically when new tickets are created, updated, or completed. If you email ESC to automatically create tickets, you will now email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020 White Coat Ceremony: 3 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 14, via live-stream and Facebook Live
- Virtual Meet the Midwives webinar: 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 19. Learn how our midwives optimize pregnancy, labor, and childbirth experiences for their patients.
Outside UI Health Care
With a new Atlantic hurricane season in full swing, scientists may have found a new influence on how tropical cyclones develop, Iowa Now reports.
The Johnson County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously at its meeting yesterday to approve a Board of Health ordinance requiring the use of face coverings in public spaces, Little Village Magazine reports.
The in-person Iowa State Fair may have been canceled due to the pandemic, but organizers are taking things online for a virtual event, KCRG reports.
A Los Angeles company has created phone booth-sized machines to beam live holograms into your living room, Reuters reports.
Capacity will be reduced to approximately 10,000-15,000 seats per game, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.