The giving season is upon us! This is the time of year when gifts start pouring in to Concierge Services: toys, clothes, food, and so much more. We are always appreciative, but sadly, a lot of it we can’t accept.
For the safety, hygiene, security, and privacy of our patients:
- All items must be new and should not be gift-wrapped.
- All items must come from smoke-free, dust-free, and pet-free environments.
- All fabric items must be made from new materials and in a non-scented new plastic bag for delivery.
- All pins must be removed from all donations.
- We cannot accept homemade food items or prepackaged food that has expired.
- Names of current and former patients cannot be included with gifts.
Donors should complete a donation form, and bring a copy along with their donation.
Donations are accepted at the UI Hospitals & Clinics Main Entrance, or the Level 1 lobby of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital near Concierge Services, on Tuesdays from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. and on Thursdays from 9 to 11 a.m.
For health and security reasons, we cannot accept:
- Handmade toys due to toy regulations for quality and safety
- Used items
- Anything latex (no latex balloons)
- Fleece baby hats
- Riding toys
- Violent toys or games or toy weapons
- Used medical equipment (Iowa Compass)
- Art (Project Art)
- Any food that is not prepackaged
- Oversized stuffed animals
- Handmade cards
Info for staff
- If donations show up on your work unit, call Concierge Services at 319-356-1900 or UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital Concierge at 319-678-5500.
- Read more: FAQs for staff