You may view your own electronic medical record (EMR) in Epic. However, you may not alter your own medical record. Alterations include, but are not limited to:
- Updating provider, contact, or insurance information
- Completing infection screening
- Drawing, scanning, or releasing lab work
- Scheduling or checking into appointments
UI Hospitals and Clinics offers several alternatives to prevent EMR self-modification. You may:
- Use MyChart
- Contact your provider
- Request a full paper copy of your record or modifications to your record from Release of Information Office.
May I access a co-worker’s record?
You may access a co-worker’s record only if you are directly involved in their care. It is best to have your co-worker sign a ROI. Keep in mind the following tips when accessing co-worker information:
- Access on a “need to know” basis only.
- Access only the minimum amount necessary to complete your job.
- Never browse through co-worker EMR’s out of curiosity.
- Only prescribe medication to patients under your direct care.
Patient safety and privacy
For more information on self-access, please contact the Joint Office for Compliance at 319-384-8282 or visit our SharePoint site.