Per our Program of Hospital Epidemiology’s guidance, hospital-issued scrubs (greens) are not required to safely care for any of our inpatients or outpatients, including COVID-19 confirmed cases or patients under investigation (PUI). You should continue to wear what you normally wear at work.
If you have concerns about wearing your own scrubs home after your shift, we advise that you bring a change of clothes in a plastic bag. Before leaving work, change, place your clothes/scrubs in the plastic bag to bring home, and place them directly in your laundry.
Guidance on laundering of scrubs at home
- Consider bringing a change of clothes to wear at end of shift and a washable or disposable bag to place scrubs into after changing
- When laundering, consider washing scrubs separately from other clothes
- Handle laundry with minimal agitation
- Clean your hands after loading the washer
- Use the warmest water setting on your washer
- Use the required amount of detergent for your washer
- Ensure items are dried completely afterwards using a dryer on the highest heat setting that clothes will tolerate