Marissa Johnson, BSN, RN, is the recipient of the 2020 Charmaine Kleiber Excellence in Pediatric Nursing Research-to-Practice.
Award Background: Charmaine Kleiber, PhD, RN, FAAN, began her University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (UIHC) nursing career in 1983 as CNS II for Children’s and Women’s Services and served in the roles of Advanced Practice Nurse for Research and Senior Nurse Scientist for Research. During her career, she was also an Associate Professor at the College of Nursing from 2004 until 2012. Dr. Kleiber was an early visionary, developing and operationalizing the role of a nurse scientist at UIHC. She was a lead author of the original Iowa Model, as well as the award winning “Evidence-Based Practice in Action” book. Her research and evidence-based practice work have transformed pediatric nursing, especially in the area of non-pharmacological pain management for children. Upon retiring from UIHC, Dr. Kleiber established a fund for excellence in pediatric nursing research. This award, given annually, will be used to support pediatric nurses involved in research and evidence-based practice.
Award Overview: The Charmaine Kleiber Excellence in Pediatric Nursing Research-to-Practice Award is given annually to a pediatric nurse who has demonstrated exceptional work in pediatric nursing research or evidence-based practice. This award may be given to an individual or team who has completed or is near completion of data collection for a research study or initiative that incorporates the use of research-based evidence for the benefit of children and their families. The award of $1,000, can be used to support education of the recipient or project costs and dissemination.
The award presentation will be held on Monday, August 3, 2020 at 1130 via Zoom.
- Introductions and Program Overview: Kirsten Hanrahan, DNP, ARNP, CPNP-PC, FAAN, Director of Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice
- Welcome Cindy Dawson, MSN, RN, CORLN, Chief Nurse Executive and Associate Director, UI Hospitals and Clinics
- Award and Recipient: Jody Kurtt, MA, RN, NEA-BC, CPNP, Director, Nursing Services, Children’s and Women’s Services
- Description of Project: Marissa Johnson, BSN, RN, Staff Nurse, Children’s and Women’s Services
- Comments: Charmaine Kleiber, PhD, RN, FAAN, Award Honoree and Angel
- Closing: Kirsten Hanrahan, DNP, ARNP, CPNP-PC, FAAN, Director of Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice