Perkins School, 1949
The original Children’s Hospital provided classroom space and teachers so children whose treatment kept them hospitalized for extended stays would not fall behind in their schoolwork. Known as the Perkins School, the program was named for the 1915 Perkins Act, a state law that provided funds for the care of indigent children. The new University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital features classrooms on two inpatient floors and a hospital-based teacher who coordinates with patients’ schools to provide personalized instruction. One of the classrooms is exclusively for patients in the UI Dance Marathon Pediatric Cancer Center, to help them avoid exposure to children in other areas of the hospital.
F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries