Children’s Hospital pediatric ward, 1922
The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics was founded in 1915 when the first formally trained pediatrician, Albert Henry Byfield, MD, was appointed to the University of Iowa faculty. Coincidentally, state legislators that year passed the Perkins Law providing funds for the care of indigent children at University Hospitals, which crowded the hospital wards and led to the opening of the first UI Children’s Hospital in 1919. A century later, the pediatrics department has evolved into a large, multispecialty education, research, and clinical care enterprise, soon to have over 130 primarily appointed faculty members as well as a new UI Children’s Hospital, opening in 2016.
F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries