Leadership and Professional Consulting:
The Learning and Development team designs and facilitates strategies for leaders and their work teams.
The team works in partnership with leaders to analyze the gap between the goals an individual, a team, and/or the organization has set and the current level of performance. Using assessment tools/methods, consultants can help leaders and their teams assess institutional and department specific problems, identify needs and goals, and work to deliver the appropriate high impact solutions that foster learning, development, and performance improvement.
The Learning and Development team works with leaders and their teams to:
- Align systems/resources to achieve identified goals.
- Assess the needs of the work environment.
- Build and lead effective, diverse work teams.
- Build high-performing teams.
- Facilitate large group interaction and problem-solving.
- Improve communication, customer service, and employee satisfaction.
- Involve employees in decision making.
- Plan and implement organizational change.
- Manage conflicts.
- Set and implement goals.
The Consult Process
Step 1. Partnering to assess and to answer these questions
-What needs work? What will success look like?
During your first conversation with our staff, you may be asked to provide information regarding:
- Reason for consult request
- HR Unit Representative
- Organizational charts or reporting structure
- Vision of unit
- Strategic planning or goals for your unit
Step 2. Determining the approach
- Priorities and focus of consult are established.
- Decide who needs to participate in process.
- Choose strategies to support change at individual and unit level.
- Do further assessments if necessary, e.g. focus groups, interviews, surveys, etc.
Step 3. Contract for consultation
- Goals and measures of success are agreed upon with leadership.
- Roles and responsibilities of supervisors, staff, and consultants are established.
- Timeframes are developed.
- Communication and feedback mechanisms are formed.
Step 4. Implementation
- Planned actions occur.
- Ongoing assessment and feedback.
- Regular communication is maintained.
Step 5. Evaluation and Closing
- Individual, group, and consultants offer evaluation through interviews, ratings, surveys, etc.
- Consultants offer recommendations for continued success.
Step 6. Follow-up at three, six, and twelve months
- Consultant asks for feedback regarding success in maintaining improvements and if other issues have surfaced to assist or impair progress.
Specific consultation services and tools available: