We are caring for 759 inpatients and have 3,175 outpatient visits today.
High: 43 Low: 27 Sunny
High: 42 Low: 31 Mostly cloudy
Broadcasts: Need to know
Our census continues to be high. You can help by paging 3600 if you’re experiencing difficulties in discharging a patient. This pager is staffed 24/7 by nursing and social work leaders who can help expedite needed services.
News: In The Loop
Watch the video of attorney, advocate, and political strategist Angela Rye, who brought an inspiring message of faith and hope to an appreciative crowd in MERF yesterday. “We reap what we sow,” Rye said. “What are we going to sow? Hatred? Bigotry? Or seeds of change?”
The best performing unit for hand hygiene for December was Level 11 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital. CVICU earned most improved. Kudos to those that achieved 100 percent hand hygiene compliance Jan. 7 to 13: 5 Short Stay, Level 11 of children’s hospital, dietary, lab, med tech, PA/ARNP/midwife, pharmacy, radiology tech, and respiratory therapy.
With influenza now widespread, UI eCare makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to have a face-to-face meeting with a health care professional over their smart phone or computer, CBS2 reports. It’s free to UI Choice members and now only $29 for the general public.
Events: Join us
- Registration deadline today: Respecting Choices First Steps Facilitator Certification, Wednesday, Feb. 21, Hills Bank, 1401 S Gilbert St, Iowa City, for advance care planning facilitation.
- Get your 2018 benefits questions answered by UI Benefits staff during special office hours. First sessions are: 6 to 11 p.m. tomorrow and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Jan. 22. Both in room E178 GH (Elevator AA, Level 1).
- Yoga will start on Monday, Jan. 22. Classes held every Monday from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. in the Activity Gym (Elevator J, Level 1). Cost is $5 a class. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-530-9417.
- Frontiers in Pediatric Research seminar: Noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Jan. 22, East Room (Elevator F, Level 8). Yoav Dori, MD, PhD, of Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, will present, “Lymphatic Flow Disorders in Patients with Congenital Heart Disease.”
- Powerful Tools for Caregivers, a class to provide you—the family caregiver—with the skills to take care of yourself, starts Thursday, Feb. 1. Free to UI employees. Email email@example.com.
- Stepping On: a seven-week workshop that teaches exercises and strategies to prevent falls. Winter session starts Sunday, Feb. 4.
“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
—Martin Luther King Jr.
- Nominate a fourth-year medical student and a faculty physician for the Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award. Deadline is Monday, March 19.
- Opening earlier for you: Starting tomorrow, all UI QuickCare locations will open at 7 a.m. on weekends.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Healthy females ages 30 to 50 not taking prescription medications other than birth control are invited to a study on the impact of diet on biomarkers in urine, blood, and stool. Study requires eight visits over a month. Compensation. Visit j.mp/2uc9iO3. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
A year after millions of people around the globe took to the streets for the Women’s March, activists are planning marches again, including one in Iowa City tomorrow morning, The Gazette reports.
Following the recent deaths of foster children, new Iowa DHS director Jerry Foxhoven said he has a plan to ensure foster kids are safe in Iowa, KCRG reports.
Delta Air Lines will soon require owners of service and support animals to provide more information before their animals can fly in the passenger cabin, The Associated Press reports.
The possibility of a federal shutdown moved closer to a certainty after Senate Democrats rallied against the GOP proposal last night, saying they would not lend their votes to a bill that did not reflect their priorities, The Washington Post reports.
In all, 238 cities applied to bring Amazon’s second headquarters to their town, and yesterday the 20 finalists were announced, The New York Times reports.
Tomorrow, Iowa men’s basketball will honor Chris Street in the Chris Street Forever 40 Memorial Game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena against No. 3 Purdue, The Daily Iowan reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.