We are caring for 748 inpatients and have 3,895 outpatient visits today.
High: 45 Low: 28 Sunny
High: 51 Low: 32 Mostly sunny
- From 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 24, the main corridor on Level 3 of Pappajohn Pavilion will be closed just north of elevator I. All elevators and stairwells will remain open. Detour signage will be posted. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
News: In The Loop
Emily Ward, BSN, RN, MBA, CCRN-K, has been named associate chief nurse executive for UI Health Care. Working closely with Cindy Dawson, chief nurse executive, she has served as interim associate chief nursing officer since July 2016.
John Stark, MBA, MS, has been named interim chief operating officer for University of Iowa Physicians (UIP), effective Monday, April 2.
The late Richard E. Kerber, MD, mentored cardiology fellows for decades. To honor him, the Division of Cardiovascular Medicine remodeled and dedicated the fellows lounge in his memory.
In a preview to the upcoming Stop the Bleed course on Saturday, March 31, Kathleen Lee and Christopher Metsgar explain how to control wounds in situations where you could potentially save a life, CBS2 reports.
Events: Join us
- Go Further With Food health fair: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow, Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1).
- Immunology Seminar: “Dying Cells, Lysosome Dysfunction, and Lupus,” 4 to 5 p.m. today, 1289 CBRB.
- Financial Planning Course for Caregivers: 3:30 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, April 4 to May 2, Atrium Conference Rooms A and B (Elevator D, Level 7). Free to UI employees.
- Iowa Council of Nephrology Nurses and Technicians spring meeting: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, April 8, Radisson Hotel.
The stimulus for the UI Hospitals and Clinics Medical Museum was the donation of a case of surgical instruments by Phoebe Wilcox of Newton, Iowa, in 1982.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- The Michaelson Lab is recruiting participants to take part in a genetic research study of autism, pediatric epilepsy, developmental delay, intellectual disability, and language impairment. Family members of affected individuals are also eligible. Contact Natalie Pottschmidt at email@example.com, or visit devgenes.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Kevin Washburn, Regents professor of law and former dean at the University of New Mexico School of Law, has been named the N. William Hines dean of the UI College of Law, Iowa Now reports.
The House voted 59-41 to make about $11 million in midyear cuts to the fiscal 2018 budgets for the University of Iowa and Iowa State University, The Daily Iowan reports.
Mark Anthony Conditt, a suspect in a wave of bombings that terrorized Austin, Texas, killed himself today with an explosion inside his car as authorities closed in, CNN reports.
Facebook and Cambridge Analytica have been sued in the U.S. for obtaining information belonging to 50 million of the social media company’s users without permission, Reuters reports.
From apps that diagnose irregular heart rhythms to phone cases that claim to measure blood pressure, there has been a wave of technology promising to fight heart disease, The Verge reports.
Brady Ellingson, a veteran shooting guard, announced yesterday he is transferring from the Iowa men’s basketball team, Hawk Central reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.