We are caring for 757 inpatients and have 2,924 outpatient visits today.
High: 80 Low: 66 Rain
High: 82 Low: 65 Partly cloudy
Events: Join us
- Get your benefits questions answered: 6:30 to 10 a.m. tomorrow, Fountain Dining Room (Elevator C, Level 1)
- Free hearing, speech, and language screenings for kindergartners and first-graders: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. tomorrow, 250 Scott Court, Iowa City; no appointment necessary
- “When Learning Isn’t Enough: Challenges Facing Women in Anesthesiology,” 7 to 7:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 24, East Room (Elevator D, Level 8)
News: In The Loop
It’s time to meet our newest Kid Captains! This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Kid Captain program, which started as a partnership between UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital and the Iowa Hawkeyes to honor pediatric patients.
While on a ride late on the afternoon of April 26, Elisha Sir-Louis, 18, took his new bike on a joy ride on a long downhill road. Before he knew it, a pickup truck was headed in his direction.
For the sixth year in a row, the Family Medicine Interest Group in the UI Carver College of Medicine has received the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) overall Program of Excellence Award.
The UI Hospitals and Clinics RAGBRAI team with Azeem Ahmed, MD, and others is preparing for the route as first responders, who will work along the route with Care Ambulance, CBS2 reports.
- Kudos to the units and job roles that earned 100 percent hand hygiene last week: 2BT, 2JCP, 2RCW, 7JCP, 7JPP, 8JCP, PICU, Level 9 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, medical assistant, medical student, nursing unit clerk, PA/ARNP/midwife, pharmacy, PT/OT, respiratory therapy, and volunteer.
- Employee parking reminder: To save parking space for our patients and visitors, faculty and staff are not allowed to park in Hospital Ramps 1, 2, or 4 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. If you are here for a medical reason or visiting a patient, a couple of simple steps can help you avoid a parking citation.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies with investigators. Participation in any study is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Call 319-335-7569, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit aging.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
Takanami is scheduled to close on July 28 after being open for 16 years, The Daily Iowan reports. The new owner plans to open a Mexican restaurant at the location.
At least five tornadoes battered central Iowa yesterday afternoon, USA Today reports. Miraculously, no fatalities were reported as of late last night.
Thousands of cyclists will soon start to trickle into the small western Iowa town of Onawa for RAGBRAI, Iowa Public Radio reports. Onawa businesses are hopeful they’ll see an economic boom.
An amphibious Ride the Ducks tour boat carrying 31 people near Branson sank in a furious squall on a Missouri lake yesterday evening, leaving at least 13 people dead—including children—and four others missing, CNN reports.
In hospitals around the country, anesthesiologists and other doctors are facing significant shortages of injectable opioids, NPR reports.
Dogs and humans have been an iconic duo since the beginning of time, and our language reflects how love-drunk we have gotten over dogs, Time reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.