We are caring for 737 inpatients and have 3,991 outpatient visits today.
High: 82 Low: 70 Rain likely
High: 89 Low: 64 Mostly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Watch the Magnet re-designation announcement today
Today’s the day! We’re expecting a call at 11:45 a.m. today to learn if UI Hospitals & Clinics will be re-designated as a Magnet Award hospital. Watch it live at facebook.com/uihealthcare or join our nursing staff in the Gerdin Family Lobby at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital. Read Noon News tomorrow for a video and photos of the event.
Donate blood at the DeGowin blood drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1). The UI DeGowin Blood Center is in specific need of O-negative blood donors. Appointments encouraged; walk-ins welcome. Sign up: uihc.org/degowin or 319-356-2058.
News: In The Loop
The Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology in the Carver College of Medicine will hold its annual memorial service for the Deeded Body Program at 1:30 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21, at Oakland Cemetery, 1000 Brown St., in Iowa City.
The UI is home to neuroscience rock star Nancy Andreasen, MD, PhD, who has pioneered neuroimaging and neuroscience research. She was the first woman to receive the American Psychiatric Association’s highest award for research, and in 2000 received the National Medal of Science at the White House.
Leonel Vasquez, MD, from the Department of Radiology’s Breast Division, appeared on KCRG this week to discuss breast cancer and screenings.
Events: Join us
- Ethics Rounds: noon to 1 p.m. today, Melrose Conference Rooms 1 and 2 (Elevator L, Level 5)
- Postdoc Appreciation Week Events: today to Friday, Sept. 21
- Healthcare Simulation Week 2018, take a tour of our health care simulation around the hospital for a chance to win a prize: 1 to 3 p.m. tomorrow
- Retirement reception for Peter Densen, MD, 4 to 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 21, EMRB Atrium; remarks at 4:40 p.m.
- Free child safety seat checks: 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing, Coralville
- Skills for Educators Workshop: Interactive Lecturing, 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 19, Melrose Conference Rooms 1 and 2 (Elevator L, Level 5)
- The heart and vascular outpatient clinics on our main campus and at UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing allow new patients to be seen within 48 hours by our cardiac specialists. For an appointment, call 319-356-7102.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Seven- to 10-year-old children are invited to participate in a study to investigate how children learn to solve math problems. Email Andy at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Outside UI Health Care
Megan and Ciera Stitz are students at the UI and maintain a successful YouTube channel about gymnastics and cheerleading, The Daily Iowan reports.
The Iowa City Council has approved the Climate Action and Adaptation Plan and appointed a committee of community members to work toward reducing greenhouse gases, The Daily Iowan reports.
Iowa City is considering installing automated pumps in the sewers at Normandy and Stevens Drives to prevent future flooding from closing those streets, CBS 2 reports.
A man with a criminal background was charged with murder just hours after a former Iowa State University champion golfer turned up dead in a pond on a golf course in Ames, ABC News reports.
After more than 100 reports of Australians finding needles in fruit, a young person has been arrested after admitting to committing the “copycat prank,” BBC News reports.
The games have begun, but some of the players will not see major playing time until October, WGN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.