We are caring for 768 inpatients and have 3,189 outpatient visits today.
High: 41 Low: 31 Partly sunny
High: 34 Low: 20 Chance snow
Broadcasts: Need to know
Level 2 corridor closure near Elevator F
Level 2 of Colloton Pavilion will be closed between Elevators EE and F from 6 p.m. today to 6 p.m. tomorrow. Both elevators will remain open. Questions? Call Kelly Stevenson, Capital Management, at 319-353-7703.
News: In The Loop
The UI Carver College of Medicine’s Family Medicine Preceptorship provides an opportunity for all medical students to spend four weeks on-site with a family physician practicing in Iowa. Learn more with Lonny Miller, MD, preceptor; Cameron Jones, fourth-year medical student; and Erin Renfrew, fourth-year medical student.
Livia Jackson, 11, of Glenwood, Iowa, is our Kid Captain for tomorrow’s game against Illinois. Livia has cyclic vomiting syndrome, a condition marked by frequent episodes of severe nausea and vomiting that can last from an hour to a week.
The Short Coat Podcast crew confront pictures of their younger selves and offer themselves the advice they should have gotten at the start of their med school journeys. And a listener asks for the best options to progress from his current work as an EMT-B/paramedic to medical school.
Three teams of researchers have won Accelerator Grants from the Iowa Neuroscience Institute:
- John Freeman, PhD, and Krystal Parker, PhD: Cognitive functions of the posterior cerebellum
- Amy Lee, PhD, and Kumar Narayanan, MD, PhD: Synapse remodeling in Parkinson’s disease
- Jatin G. Vaidya, PhD, and Emine O. Bayman, PhD: Personalized neuromodulation for treating post-surgical pain
Events: Join us
- “The Skinny on Fat: Mechanisms and Physiology of Lipid Synthesis and Storage in Lipid Droplets,” 1 to 2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 19, 1289 CBRB
- Men’s Health Seminar: Go Big or Go Home, 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 29, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing; registration required
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy program, for prevention of depression relapse and responding skillfully to anxiety: 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, Jan. 23, to March 13; intake session required
- Do you know an individual or group that has made conscious decisions to practice culturally responsive health care? Nominate them for the Culturally Responsive Health Care Award by Wednesday, Nov. 28.
- A Massage Oasis offers $20 gift cards, good for a 15-minute chair massage at either UI Hospitals & Clinics location. They can be purchased at either location and are available throughout the year.
- Kudos to the units and job roles that reached 100 percent hand hygiene last week: 2JCP, 3BT, 3JPP, 6JPP, 6JCP, 6RCP, 7JCP, 7RCS, 8JCP, Level 11 of UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital, SNICU, chaplain, dietary, medical assistant, nursing student, nursing unit clerk, PA/ARNP/midwife, resident, respiratory therapy, social work, and volunteer.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Non-smoking, overweight adults with high or borderline high blood pressure are invited to participate in a study investigating effects of blood pressure drugs on vascular and nerve function. Contact 319-467-0343 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outside UI Health Care
Students attending the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and the University of Northern Iowa will likely see tuition increases of about 3 percent each year for five years, depending on state funding levels, The Daily Iowan reports.
A strong winter storm moving over the eastern half of the country has claimed at least eight lives and knocked out power for tens of thousands of people, CNN reports.
The Food and Drug Administration announced that it will seek a ban on the sale of menthol-flavored cigarettes, as well as restrict the sale of flavored electronic cigarettes, NPR reports.
Researchers are studying the impact that packaging student loans has on student borrowing and school performance, NPR reports.
Half of U.S. counties lack a single OB-GYN, and some women’s lives are endangered by long treks for much-needed care, AAMCNews reports. Learn what leaders in academic medicine are doing to recruit and retain this vital workforce—and protect patients’ health.
Jordan Bohannon, a UI men’s basketball point guard, will be honored at the 2018 Musial Awards in St. Louis tomorrow for something he rarely does: miss a free throw, Hawkeye Sports reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.