We are caring for 705 inpatients and have 3,958 outpatient visits today.
High: 75 Low: 46 Mostly sunny
High: 74 Low: 50 Sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Physician star rating forum tomorrow and Oct. 30
Clinical faculty and interested staff are invited to learn about the physician star ratings now posted on uihc.org. Theresa Brennan, MD, Marta VanBeek, MD, and Doug Van Daele, MD, will present Boosting Your Reputation Through Transparency: Physician Star Ratings and Comments and preview the process for posting patient comments.
The first forum will be held from 5 to 6 p.m. tomorrow in the Ziffren Conference Room (Elevator H, Level 1). A second forum will be held from 7 to 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 30, in the Medical Alumni Auditorium (Elevator BE, Level 3).
DeGowin blood drive tomorrow
Consider donating blood at the DeGowin blood drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1). Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. Sign up at uidegowinbloodcenter.org or call 319-356-2058. Help support the transfusion needs of the patients at UI Hospitals and Clinics and UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
News: In The Loop
At what age should kids trick-or-treat without an adult? Before they leave the house, read some tips from our safety experts at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.
The fifth-annual We Are Phil (short for philanthropy) UI faculty/staff giving campaign is this week. Watch a video with Sue O’Dorisio, MD, PhD, at the link above or give at uifoundation.org/facultystaff.
Events: Join us
- Patient Experience and Patient Safety: A Discussion on How Integrated These Priorities Really Are, presented by Gary Yates, MD, former senior vice president and CMO of Sentara Healthcare, is from 5 to 7 p.m. today in the East Room (Elevator D/F, Level 8).
- It’s National Pharmacy Week! Stop by the Department of Pharmaceutical Care booth from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. every day this week, except for Thursday, in the Fountain Lobby (Elevator C, Level 1) to learn more about the care our pharmacy staff provide. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Social Media for Researchers, Clinicians, and Educators workshop, 8 to 11:30 a.m. tomorrow in Seebohm Conference Room, EMRB. To register, contact email@example.com or 319-335-9103.
- Attend the Distinguished Biomedical Scholars Lecture series from 4 to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 31, in the Prem Sahai Auditorium (MERF). C. Ronald Kahn, MD, will present Plasticity of Adipose Tissue and Its Communication in Metabolic Disease. Questions? Contact 319-335-8587 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UI Faculty and Staff Health Fair, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 1, at the UI Field House. The fair will include free screenings, demonstrations, giveaways, and more. Visit hr.uiowa.edu/livewell/health-fair.
Need help discharging patients? Page us! Page 3600 (“Barriers to LOS/Discharge: pager” in SmartWeb).
- Reach Out. Report. Repeat. Does your department participate in community benefit activities? We want to hear about it. Email email@example.com to make sure your department or program’s efforts are recorded.
- Stop by the Kaleidoscope Gift Shop and Safety Store (Level 1) in UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital during Fire Safety Week, Oct. 16 to 21, to get 10 percent off a smoke/CO detector, fire escape ladder, or evacuation mat. Call 319-356-3543.
- What do you know about our pharmacies and MyChart? We’re looking for ways to tell patients about the great benefits of using UI Health Care pharmacies and MyChart. Take a five-minute survey at bit.ly/2xLJdct.
- It’s Medical Assistants Recognition Week! We’re thankful for our many medical assistants that provide numerous services to make life easier for patients and providers alike. Read more on The Loop, and don’t forget our Helping Hands Award!
- Please refrain from discussing patient information and treatment in public areas, such as cafeterias, gift shops, coffee shops, and hallways. If you must discuss patient information, take precautions to minimize the chance of being overheard: talk in a private area, lower your voice, and limit the information being shared.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults ages 22 to 30 are invited to participate in a research study involving cognitive testing and questionnaires that lasts two to three hours. Compensation provided. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete an eligibility screen at bit.ly/2n8c32O.
Outside UI Health Care
UI researchers have studied how roundworms learn and respond to danger, and their findings could improve the treatment of conditions such as Alzheimer’s, Huntington, and dementia, Iowa Now reports.
Inspection crews surveyed the underside of several Iowa City bridges this week as they do every two years to ensure safety and compliance with federal bridge rules, The Gazette reports.
Pending federal action could have significant effects on health care and the renewable fuels industry in Iowa, and Gov. Kim Reynolds will have an audience next week with Vice President Mike Pence to discuss these issues, The Gazette reports.
A gunman is on the loose after shooting five people this morning—killing three—at Emmorton Business Park in Edgewood, Maryland, CNN reports.
The U.S. has made an urgent call for calm in northern Iraq as Kurdish fighters and Iraqi forces—two of Washington’s key allies in the region—clash over disputed territory, CNN reports.
The Dodgers beat the Cubs 6-1 last night for a 3-0 lead in the National League Championship Series, the Denton Record-Chronicle reports. They play again tonight in Chicago.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.