We are caring for 797 inpatients and have 3,476 outpatient visits today.
High: 41 Low: 25 Sunny
High: 39 Low: 30 Partly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
Some premium rates and university benefits will change effective Jan. 1, 2020. Please be sure to review changes and make benefits choices for next year before 5 p.m. tonight. If you do nothing during open enrollment, you will remain enrolled in your current benefits selections, with the exception of your Flexible Spending Account.
News: In The Loop
Joseph Szot, MD, has been named associate dean for continuing and integrated medical education in the UI Carver College of Medicine.
Aubrey Bussan-Kluesner, 8, of Dyersville, Iowa, is our Kid Captain for tomorrow’s game against Minnesota. Aubrey was diagnosed with several disorders, including ADHD, a learning disorder, and anxiety disorder. With treatment, Aubrey has improved and continues to do well.
UI Heart and Vascular Center cardiologists are the first in the state to use a new procedure that makes heart valve replacement safer for some high-risk patients.
See the full list of the most recent Making a Difference Award winners, including Kathryn Scheer of dermatology, Jared Smith of Engineering Services, Samra Vatres of Volunteer Services, and many others.
Events: Join us
- Quality and Safety Symposium and Research Poster Session: Wednesday, Nov. 20, and Thursday, Nov. 21, MERF
- College of Medicine Spotlight on Current and Future Research: 4 to 5 p.m. Monday, Dec. 2, 1459 PBDB
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction programs: 5:30 to 8 p.m, Tuesdays, Jan. 21 to March 10, or 5:30 to 8 p.m., Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to March 11
- Engaging employees for effective performance training: 2 to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 29, 4999 JPP (Elevator I, Level 4)
- Departments can pick up trees and wreaths from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18, and Tuesday, Nov. 19, Mezzanine Level, Elevator K.
- The Hawkeyes kick off at 3 p.m. tomorrow against Minnesota in Kinnick Stadium. Learn more about getting to the hospital on game days, and see details for employee parking. Please help direct our patients and visitors to avoid Melrose Avenue, to park in Parking Ramps 1 or 2, and enter through the Main Entrance.
- Did you know that the Holden Comprehensive Cancer Center has a Cancer Diagnostic Clinic to provide cancer care for patients who have an undetermined cancer diagnosis? Physicians can refer a patient to the diagnostic clinic whenever cancer is suspected.
- Did you know you can order MyChart rack cards through UI Printing’s Health Care catalog? To view all MyChart materials for print, visit the MyChart page on the UI Printing Catalog, select “Catalog” at the top of the page, then “UI Health Care Catalog” then “MyChart Products.”
- Use the Co-worker Observations Reporting System (CORS) to enter any perceived unprofessional behaviors. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Children with AD/HD between 4 and 12 years who are prescribed stimulant medication and exhibiting disruptive behavior are invited to participate in research evaluating behavior and choices. Compensation. Questions? Contact Matthew O’Brien at email@example.com or 319-384-9827.
Outside UI Health Care
UI honored six veterans with Hawkeye ties at the Hawkeye Distinguished Veterans Awards, The Daily Iowan reports.
Amid consistent cuts to their budgets, Iowa’s public universities contributed a combined $11.8 billion to the state’s economy in fiscal year 2018, The Daily Iowan reports.
Two dead and three more are wounded after a school shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, CNN reports.
The flu shot protects heart patients from illness and death, so getting one should be the first thing they do every year before the season starts, reports U.S. News & World Report.
The rigors and challenges of spaceflight are remarkably similar to the physical stress cancer patients experiment during chemotherapy and other treatments, according to researchers, CNN reports.
Browns defensive end Myles Garrett struck Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph with Rudolph’s own helmet, ESPN reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.