We are caring for 764 inpatients and have 3,411 outpatient visits today.
High: 78 Low: 54 Sunny
High: 78 Low: 57 Sunny
Events: Join us
- Candidate for director of the Office of the Patient Experience (OPE): noon to 1 p.m. Monday, Aug. 26, 2415 JCP Pediatric Education Conference Center Auditorium (Elevator F, Level 2)
- Faculty Development Opportunity: Christine Blaumueller, Scientific Editing and Research Communication Core, 4 to 5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 12, Seebohm Conference Room 283 EMRB
News: In The Loop
UI researchers investigate how to maximize simulation training and opportunities outside of the operating room
Donald Anderson, PhD, director of orthopedic biomechanics laboratory, compared three types of resident training to determine their effectiveness and improve patient safety.
Anil Chauhan, MTech, PhD, and Enrique Leira, MD, MS, have received a three-year, $1.1M Stroke Preclinical Assessment Network grant from the NIH’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke to support translational studies for acute neuroprotection.
Volunteer Services recently welcomed five new volunteers into the 1,000 Hour Club and recognized one volunteer for her 5,000 hour milestone! Those recognized included Chris Samuelson, Monica Ahrens, Diane Crossett, JoAnn Koskey, Levona LaGrange, and Danielle Busta.
- The Voalte communication system (Voalte One, Voalte Messenger, and Voalte Me) will be unavailable on Wednesday, Aug. 28, beginning at 5 a.m. for approximately one hour. This downtime is required to perform necessary system upgrades. A Voalte text message will inform all logged-in users when downtime begins.
- UI Dance Marathon allocations applications for fall 2019 (new and renewal) are now available and are due by Aug. 31, 2019. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Do you know an early-career scientist without independent funding that should be celebrated for their groundbreaking work? Nominate them to be a STAT Wunderkind. Nominations are due Sept. 3.
- The Office of Outreach and Engagement Community Impact Grant for spring 2020 is now open for students and faculty. Apply by Oct. 1 to receive support for projects such as community-based research and scholarship, service-learning projects, or outreach.
- Daniels Sharps Container removal: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday; contact 319-400-7614 or Rshelton@danielshealth.com. For after hours or emergencies, page the housekeeping supervisor at 3191.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Children with AD/HD between 4 and 12 years prescribed stimulant medication and exhibiting disruptive behavior are invited to participate in research evaluating behavior and choices. Compensation. Questions? Contact Matthew O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-384-9827.
Outside UI Health Care
UI researchers have found that a single bout of exercise improves cognitive functions and working memory in some older people, according to Iowa Now.
Volkswagen is recalling 679,000 U.S. vehicles sold since 2011 that could roll away because drivers could remove the key after stopping without placing the car in park, Reuters reports.
Protesters formed a human chain across Hong Kong Friday evening in a show of solidarity for the city’s pro-democracy protest movement that continues to gain traction, CNN reports.
As if you need another reason to visit your local shelter, a recent study finds that dog owners are more likely to have better heart health, according to Newsweek.
The Lost Island Theme park in Waterloo is a $100 million expansion that is expected to be finished in 2022, KCRG reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to email@example.com and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.