We are caring for 739 inpatients and have 4,115 outpatient visits today.
High: 74 Low: 58 Sunny
High: 80 Low: 64 Showers likely
Broadcasts: Need to know
Save the dates and join us for the upcoming seminars highlighting the Carver College of Medicine Department of Microbiology and Immunology chair candidates.
The first seminar will be held from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Friday, May 31, in 1289 CBRB, Kelch Conference Room, with four additional dates to follow.
News: In The Loop
UI Hospitals & Clinics is one of only three U.S. cancer centers offering MR-linac, a newly approved radiation therapy technology that targets soft-tissue tumors with unprecedented accuracy, radiating cancerous cells while sparing more of the surrounding normal tissue.
Nitin Karandikar, MD, PhD, was recently awarded his second grant award from Humanities Iowa for his work building the Iowa Corridor Sangeet program, which strives to bring South Asian performing arts to Eastern Iowa.
Events: Join us
- CORRECTION: Free Men’s Health Seminar: Lose Weight, Gain Wellness, 6 p.m. Thursday, May 30, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing; RSVP
- Culturally Responsive Health Care in Iowa 2019: 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, May 31, UI College of Public Health Building
- Learn hands-only CPR and how to use an AED: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, June 6, UI Pentacrest (outside near Clinton St.)
- Refugee Mental Health Workshop: 2 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 4, Johnson County Health and Human Services Building, Room 203
- The Patients’ Library and the Medical Museums (Elevator F, Level 8) are open from 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 25. The Janice and Bruce Ellig Children’s Library, Medical Museums, and Patients’ Library will be closed on Sunday, May 26, to Monday, May 27, for Memorial Day. Normal hours resume Tuesday, May 28.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Adults age 50 and older are invited to sign up for the Seniors Together in Aging Research (STAR) Registry, a voluntary registry that connects individuals interested in participating in research studies. Participation is voluntary. Compensation for some studies. Questions? Call 319-335-7569, email email@example.com, or visit icts.uiowa.edu/star.
Outside UI Health Care
The new Xtream Arena is starting to take shape around the Iowa River Landing. Work on the arena started last week, and it’s expected to open August 2020, CBS 2 reports.
A tornado tore apart buildings in Missouri’s capital city as severe weather swept across the state overnight, killing at least three people and injuring nearly two dozen others, The Associated Press reports.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi won another five-year term after winning a landslide general election, BBC reports.
Doctors aren’t the only ones who should train for surgery, AAMCNews reports. Hospitals boost results by getting patients prepped with exercise, nutrition, and more.
The Cubs bullpen has been under the microscope recently as they hit another rough patch, NBC Sports reports.
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.