We are caring for 797 inpatients and have 4,165 outpatient visits today.
High: 40 Low: 23 Partly cloudy
High: 38 Low: 20 Mostly sunny
Broadcasts: Need to know
The Loop half-hour downtime today at 4:30 p.m.
The Loop will be down for a server move from approximately 4:30 to 5 p.m. today. Questions during that time? Email email@example.com.
On an annual basis, faculty, staff, and student employees are required to complete an online Annual Disclosure of Outside Professional Activities and Interests form.
News: In The Loop
‘A Beacon of Light’: Doctor raises money for children, adolescents waiting in the ER for psychiatric care
When Jeffrey Brown, MD, saw Carson King’s fundraising campaign for UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital go viral, he got a similar idea: raise money for children and adolescents visiting the emergency room for psychiatric care.
Colby and Connor Gerlach kept their care team on their toes from day one. After several weeks in our hospital, their mom says, “The boys let the NICU staff take a quick breather and did some more ‘normal preemie things.’ However, the break was short-lived.”
Join us to hear stories from our patients, and learn how UI Health Care is focused on safety, quality, and the patient connection. This half-day session is open to all employees and is different than the Service Excellence event you may have attended in the past.
UI professor Thorsten Rudroff, PhD, wants to see what the chances of falling are for older people who smoke medical marijuana, KCRG reports.
Events: Join us
- 12th Annual Faculty Women’s Symposium: Difficult Dialogues, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow, Radisson Hotel and Conference Center, Coralville
- Health Seminar: Sexual health concerns when diagnosed with cancer, 6 to 7 p.m. Thursday, March 5, UI Health Care–Iowa River Landing
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) programs: 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, March 26–May 14 at UI Hospitals & Clinics, or 5:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, April 1–May 20 at HSSB
- View the giant inflatable colon in support of Colorectal Cancer Awareness month: 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 3, Colloton Pavilion Atrium (Elevator F, Level 1)
- 2020 Neuroscience Certification Exam Review: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 3, Nursing Clinical Education Center (Elevator BW, Level 4)
- Employment Forum on Disability: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, April 9, Room 166 Iowa Theater, Iowa Memorial Union
- The Department of Surgery has implemented service pagers and is seeking feedback about this new process through a survey. For more information about the service pagers or the survey, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enter to win a fitness tracker during February, American Heart Month. Did you know heart disease is the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States? Learn how to reduce your risk for heart disease by taking the heart-healthy pledge.
- The Clinical Documentation Improvement team has changed their staffing model to specialize in specific service lines. Find out who your CDI specialist is.
- Submissions are now being accepted for the fall 2020 issue of The Examined Life Journal: the literary journal of the Carver College of Medicine. They seek fiction, non-fiction, and poetry dealing with any aspect of health, disease, or the human condition. Deadline is April 1.
Research volunteers invited
Find more research studies at uihc.org/studies.
- Women and their partners who are planning to pursue in vitro fertilization are invited to participate in a study to investigate if participation in a psychoeducational group designed to educate patients on stress reduction and coping techniques improves quality of life for fertility patients. Email email@example.com.
Outside UI Health Care
New report shows UI, fellow American Talent Initiative members are expanding access and opportunity for students
The American Talent Initiative is on track to enroll 50,000 more lower-income students by 2025, Iowa Now reports.
The United Way of Johnson and Washington Counties’ annual fundraiser is wrapping up this weekend, but remains just shy of its goal, the Iowa City Press-Citizen reports.
The UI touring ensemble performed a diverse mix of contemporary dances at Space Place Theater, weaving athleticism, beauty, humor, and absurdity into the home concert, The Daily Iowan reports.
This year’s event featured offerings from 29 Iowa City restaurants, Little Village Magazine reports.
Huge waves already have been spotted over southern Lake Michigan, following a mass of cold air that pushed a north wind over the region, CNN reports.
The team is crushing expectations on its way to a likely third-place finish in the Big Ten regular season standings, The Daily Iowan reports.
*Subscription service, limited access
Send announcements for Noon News to firstname.lastname@example.org and see submission guidelines on The Loop. Produced by UI Health Care Marketing and Communications. Persons with a disability requiring reasonable accommodations in order to participate in programs at University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics may discuss their needs with Concierge Services in advance at 356-1900.