Congratulations to Dr. Vyas for being accepted into the 9th Cohort of the 2020-2021 Pediatric Leadership Development Program through the Association of Medical School Pediatric Department Chairs (AMSPDC). The purpose of this program is to develop leadership skills and provide experience in all aspects of leading departments in an academic medical centers.
Congratulations to Dr. Krysan for his new F32 grant from the NIH for “Development of a high throughput screening-compatible assay for flamentous fungi“. The grant provides $61,610/year over 3 years for hiring a post-doc.
Congratulations to Dr. Jeff Murray for his new grant from the NIH for “Genetic Modifiers of Van der Woude Syndrome“. The grant provides approximately $229,000 over 5 years.
Congratulations to Dr. Vyas on his recent R01 from the NIH for his project “Mechanisms of R loop-mediated genome instability in Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome“. The grant provides just over $2 million over 5 years.
Congratulations to Dr. Bassuk on receiving a new R01 Grant from the NIH titled “Inflammatory Gene Transcription in the Retina“. The grant provide just over $1.6 million over 4 years.
Congratulations to Dr. Boes on his new R01 from the NIH titled “Predicting Cognitive Outcomes from Stroke Based on Lesion Location“. The grant provides just over $1.6 million over 5 years.
Congratulations to Dr. Bassuk on his recent scholarly articles!
- Wert KJ, Velez G, Kanchustambham VL, Shankar V, Evans LP, Sengillo JD, Zare RN, Bassuk AG, Tsang SH, Mahajan VB. Metabolite therapy guided by liquid biopsy proteomics delays retinal neurodegeneration. EBioMedicine. 2020 Feb 3;52:102636. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2020.102636. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32028070.
- Cho A, Lima de Carvalho JR Jr, Tanaka AJ, Jauregui R, Levi SR, Bassuk AG, Mahajan VB, Tsang SH. Fundoscopy-directed genetic testing to re-evaluate negative whole exome sequencing results. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2020 Jan 30;15(1):32. doi: 10.1186/s13023-020-1312-1. PubMed PMID: 32000842; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6993391.
- Velez G, Sun YJ, Khan S, Yang J, Herrmann J, Chemudupati T, MacLaren RE, Gakhar L, Wakatsuki S, Bassuk AG, Mahajan VB. Structural Insights into the Unique Activation Mechanisms of a Non-classical Calpain and Its Disease-Causing Variants. Cell Rep. 2020 Jan 21;30(3):881-892.e5. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2019.12.077. PubMed PMID: 31968260; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC7001764.
- Oh JK, Lima de Carvalho JR Jr, Sun YJ, Ragi S, Yang J, Levi SR, Ryu J, Bassuk AG, Mahajan VB, Tsang SH. Novel mutations in the 3-box motif of the BACK domain of KLHL7 associated with nonsyndromic autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2019 Dec 19;14(1):295. doi: 10.1186/s13023-019-1275-2. PubMed PMID: 31856884; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6924004.
Congratulations to Dr. Boes on his most recent publications.
- Zarei K, Sparr NA, Trapp NT, Neuhaus ED, Cromwell JW, Boes AD, Shinozaki G. Bispectral EEG (BSEEG) to assess arousal after electro-convulsive therapy (ECT). Psychiatry Res. 2020 Jan 25;285:112811. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112811. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 32032823.
- Albazron FM, Bruss J, Jones RM, Yock TI, Pulsifer MB, Cohen AL, Nopoulos PC, Abrams AN, Sato M, Boes AD. Pediatric postoperative cerebellar cognitive affective syndrome follows outflow pathway lesions. Neurology. 2019 Oct 15; 93(16):e1561-e1571. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000008326. Epub 2019 Sep 16. PubMed PMID: 31527284; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6815203.
- Trapp NT, Uitermarkt B, King Johnson M, Koscik TR, Garrett L, Heinzerling A, Zanaty M, Holland MT, Howard M, Boes AD. A new device to improve target localization for transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy. Brain Stimul. 2019 Nov – Dec;12(6):1600-1602. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2019.07.028. Epub 2019 Aug 2. PubMed PMID: 31402180.
Congratulations to Dr. Kathy Mathews (Neurology) on her recent publications on Friedreich Ataxia published in the Journal of Neurological Sciences and Neurological Genetics, respectively.
- Rummey C, Corben LA, Delatycki MB, Subramony SH, Bushara K, Gomez CM, Hoyle JC, Yoon G, Ravina B, Mathews KD, Wilmot G, Zesiewicz T, Perlman S, Farmer JM, Lynch DR. Psychometric properties of the Friedreich Ataxia Rating Scale. Neurol Genet. 2019 Oct 29;5(6):371. doi:10.1212/NXG.0000000000000371. eCollection 2019 Dec. PubMed PMID: 32042904; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6927357.
- Xiong E, Lynch AE, Corben LA, Delatycki MB, Subramony SH, Bushara K, Gomez CM, Hoyle JC, Yoon G, Ravina B, Mathews KD, Wilmot G, Zesiewicz T, Susan Perlman M, Farmer JM, Rummey C, Lynch DR. Health related quality of life in Friedreich Ataxia in a large heterogeneous cohort. J Neurol Sci. 2019 Dec 24;410:116642. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2019.116642. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31901720.
Dr. Pinnaro is currently a fellow in Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, and will become faculty as Assistant Professor in July 2020.
I am currently a fellow in Endocrine and Diabetes where I do a mix of patient care, research and teaching. I’ve been at Iowa for 7 years (1 in research, 3 as a pediatric resident, 1 as chief resident, 2 as a fellow).
My husband, Alan, works at TransAmerica in Cedar Rapids. We have a 3 year old daughter, named Nellie. And 3 dogs (Penny, Bess and Truman).
In my free time I enjoy going to concerts (Tswift junkie), biking, and crossword puzzles.
Favorite meal or restaurant? Nice meal= Lobster roll, Fast food= Taco Bell.
Favorite sports team? Iowa field hockey.
Favorite book or movie? To Kill a Mockingbird, Mean Girls/all the Pitch Perfects