Time Capsule: Children’s Hospital, 1931

The original Children’s Hospital opened in early 1919 on 28 acres west of the Iowa River that the University of Iowa had recently purchased to establish a new medical campus. The single-story hospital—which sat on land now occupied by the Pappajohn Biomedical Discovery Building—housed 90 to 100 beds in its orthopedic wing and 40 to 50 beds in the pediatric wing. The hospital included operating rooms, a brace shop, laboratories, and classrooms for tutoring patients out of school. With a new building that opened in 2017, UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital includes 190 inpatient beds, pediatric operating rooms, intensive care units, a pediatric dialysis center, and other services and amenities for the comfort and care of patients and their families.

F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries