Time Capsule: Isolation Hospital, 1918

With the patient population on the rise in the 1910s, University Hospital built an isolation ward for contagious diseases. The south face of the building featured white wooden balconies, offering tuberculosis patients access to light and fresh air. The building served patients and provided plenty of learning opportunities for medical students until 1928, when a new hospital opened west of the Iowa River on the relocated medical campus. Since then, the old isolation hospital—renamed Stuit Hall in 2011, after a longtime dean of liberal arts— has housed the School of Music, art studios, and the university’s clinical psychology program.

F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries