Ambulance service, 1941
State laws passed in 1915 and 1919 enabled University Hospital to provide medical care to indigent children and adults from across Iowa, but there was no consistent transportation to bring patients to Iowa City and deliver them back home. Patients relied on taxis, buses, private ambulances, and privately owned cars; these options were inconvenient for patients and costly for the hospital. In 1932, a statewide, hospital-owned ambulance service was introduced, with a seven-passenger Buick used as the first vehicle. By 1934, 17 Buicks were in operation as the ambulance fleet.
F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries