Eye and ear clinic, University Hospital, circa 1912
The University of Iowa building now known as Seashore Hall, which houses an eclectic mix of campus departments and offices, was, in fact, the first University Hospital. It offered clinics for a handful of specialties—including ophthalmology and otolaryngology—as well as inpatient wards, private rooms, and a surgical theater. A century ago, University Hospital accommodated a total of 350 beds. Today, UI Hospitals and Clinics has a capacity of 732 beds, serves patients in communities across Iowa and the Midwest, and trains thousands in health education programs. Of roughly 936,000 clinic visits annually, nearly 70,000 belong just to ophthalmology.
F.W. Kent Collection of Photographs, University Archives, University of Iowa Libraries